Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Music of J: Showtunes, Janis, and a Jonny Jump Up

1. "Javert's Suicide", Les Miserables
I've talked about Les Miserables before, but I wanted to pay special attention to one of the more powerful numbers in the show. Leading up to this scene, our hero Valjean has rescued Marius and carries him through the sewers. He runs into our brilliant antagonist, Inspector Javert. Each man has shown mercy toward the other throughout the show in crucial scenes, and now the Inspector believes he has finally caught his foe. But one more time, Valjean begs for a little more time to make sure Marius is safe and then he will turn himself in. Inspector Javert owes him his life and grants a bit more time for the felon 24601. Overcome with a variety of emotions, this crucial scene is enhanced by the stage work and the lighting. But, the best Javert is Philip Quast and this is a pretty dang good version even though you don't get the staging.

(PS--If you want some fun for your Wednesday morning, check out the LOTR/"Javert's Suicide" mash up on YouTube between Aragorn and the Witch King. BRILLIANT!)



2. Janis Joplin
"Me and Bobby McGee" is in my arsenal of kareoke tunes. And by "arsenal" I mean two or three songs that I like to try and sing after having a few adult beverages. Overall, Janis Joplin makes me think of summertime, campfires, bottles of Summer Shandy, friends, laughter, and just spending time outdoors. Turn it up, sit back, and think of summer. It's just around the corner. Promise.



2. "Jonny Jump Up" by Gaelic Storm
If you're a cider fan, take a listen. I can hold my ciders better than Jonny, but I get where he's coming from. And a special shout out to Gaelic Storm, who will be headlining the FREE Irish Fair festivities in MN this summer. My bestie and I go every year and run the 5K in the morning, then go home, shower, eat, and head back to the fair grounds. The festival is free, the entertainment is free, and the whiskey, well, it's NOT free. But there's a Jameson tent, which makes us quite happy. Man, is it summer yet?


Like usual, you tell me: What "J" tunes, artists, or albums did I miss? Tell me in the comments!


11 comments:

  1. About "Bobby McGee," did you know Kris Kristofferson wrote it? I heard his version last year and was like, why are you trying to sing that song? :-) Joplin made it her own, and it's how we know the song today.

    For other J's, how about Joe Jackson?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that last night about Kris Kristofferson. I think this is another Jeff Buckley example! But did KK record it, or just write it?

      I don't know any Joe Jackson, sadly. But a Jackson tune would've made sense for J!

      Delete
    2. It turns out the song's on Kristofferson's first album, but it was a flop. A year later, after Joplin's passing, they retitled it "Me & Bobby McGee," and the album became a hit. :p

      And Joe Jackson put out two excellent New Wave albums in '79, including this song I'm sure you know.

      Delete
  2. I'll definitely have to check out that LOTR video later.
    And i've never been to Irish Fest. Is there a lot of good food? That's usually my deciding factor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some excellent food booths. And some that are not so good. But everything except food and drink is free, so for $20, it's a great night of fun.

      Delete
  3. The music from Les Miserables is powerful.
    I'd say Judas Priest but that doesn't really fit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judas Priest starts with J--it counts!

      As for whether or not it would make my playlist? Well, that's a different story... ;)

      Delete
  4. I love Les Mis and Gaelic Storm. We totally should have gotten a cider when we were at Bransforumfest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! If only we could've gotten into the Irish bar before the show!

      Next time. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi there - glad to have found you through A to Z! J music... hmmm... well, you really can't go wrong with Jack White. Also, Dolly Parton's Jolene is perfection.

    Looking forward to keeping up with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack White and "Jolene" are two excellent examples! Thanks for the comment, the follow, and for stopping by!

      Delete

I love getting comments. They're as much fun as getting real snail mail. So please, chime in and tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...